Sapphires can be found in a
rainbow of colors. It was once believed that sapphires offered
protection from harm and envy. Sapphires are considered to be calm
and relaxing. Sri Lanka (formerly known as
Ceylon) was the standard bearer of sapphire until the incredible
discovery of extraordinary stones in Kashmir in 1880. Sadly, the Kashmir
supply was essentially exhausted by 1930, leaving
Sri Lanka as the location of the most beautiful sapphires. Sapphires
are also regularly mined in Madagascar, Australia and Thailand. They
come other colors such as red,
orange, yellow, green,
blue, purple and
pink. Colors other than blue are referred to as "fancy
sapphires". Sapphires are the traditional gift for the fifth
(5th) and forty-fifth (45th) wedding anniversaries and the
birthstone for September.
cutting is the most basic enhancement method employed to display the
beauty of a
gemstone, there are many fascinating methods by which man has
demonstrated his ability to draw maximum color, luster, clarity and
brilliance from sapphires. A basic understanding of these enhancement
techniques will add to your appreciation of the beauty, durability and
value of the
gemstone jewelry you already own, or plan to purchase in the future.
Most sapphires are treated with heat after being mined. Heat treatment
of sapphires is a permanent, industry accepted treatment requiring no
additional care over that of unheated sapphires. There are other
treatments used to enhance the color of sapphires which are not industry
accepted, may not be permanent, and therefore not sold by our company.
Approximately, 99% of sapphires used in jewelry are heated, leaving 1%
which are unheated and considered very rare. You should assume that the
sapphires sold at MyJewelrySource are heated unless stated otherwise.
Buying a Sapphire: All in all,
sapphires can be
considered the ideal colored gemstone. Besides excelling in color selection,
sapphires excel in
durability with a rating of 9 on the Mohs scale of hardness.
Sapphires in sizes of 1 carat and over are considered to be important. Some inclusions are accepted although
certainly not as many as with
all of the sapphires at MyJewelrySource.com are eye clean and most important, all are pleasing to the eye. We
offer a wide range of colors from a traditional Ceylon blue, to rich lustrous
royal blue, to many styles with
pink, orange, and
Care of Sapphires: Sapphire
jewelry may be cleaned with a soft-bristled brush or a cloth with plain or soapy water.
Be sure to clean your jewelry regularly. Dirt and grime can easily build
up underneath the stones and it is important to clean your rings
especially from the underside to keep the stones looking clear and
sparkly. Since sapphires are tough and durable, they can withstand most cleaning methods,
but MJS does not recommend them. For example, steaming and ultrasonic cleaning will not damage
sapphires, but these methods may loosen the setting, and subsequently,
stones may fall out. Sapphires must not be put in
boiling hot water. Avoid exposure to hairspray, perfume and chlorine, which can dull gemstones.
See our jewelry in all its glorious detail. We are now offering
video on many of our beautiful creations.